Urbanite Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Increasing the forum size

5 posters

Go down

Increasing the forum size Empty Increasing the forum size

Post by Talos Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:04 pm

Now, this forum is very young but it is also quite small currently. While that may or may not change in the future, I felt that it might be an interesting dicussion to hold if we work on ways to expand. It will give us a new topic and help clear the forum of that ''new'' feeling.

I feel that Creative Writing may be a nice way to do this; get some good quality stories and get them known and we'll surely attract members.
Talos
Talos

Back to top Go down

Increasing the forum size Empty Re: Increasing the forum size

Post by SageofSixPaths Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:08 pm

Talos wrote:Now, this forum is very young but it is also quite small currently. While that may or may not change in the future, I felt that it might be an interesting dicussion to hold if we work on ways to expand. It will give us a new topic and help clear the forum of that ''new'' feeling.

I feel that Creative Writing may be a nice way to do this; get some good quality stories and get them known and we'll surely attract members.

Well, i could put up a story i've been writing...

But, i'm no good at fanfiction, and i don't think my original works are going to be very popular(simply from being original) Neutral

A few color/gui changes could definitely spice things up though!

*notices dice roller at the bottom*

Well that's cool!
SageofSixPaths
SageofSixPaths
Moderati
Moderati

Back to top Go down

Post by Talos Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:10 pm

SageofSixPaths wrote:
Talos wrote:Now, this forum is very young but it is also quite small currently. While that may or may not change in the future, I felt that it might be an interesting dicussion to hold if we work on ways to expand. It will give us a new topic and help clear the forum of that ''new'' feeling.

Well, i could put up a story i've been writing...

But, i'm no good at fanfiction, and i don't think my original works are going to be very popular(simply from being original) Neutral

A few color/gui changes could definitely spice things up though!

*notices dice roller at the bottom*

Well that's cool!

There's a dice roller...? Kickass! *Goes to find it*

*finds it*

Talos
Talos

Back to top Go down

Post by Talos Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:11 pm

Cool Emp wrote:The member 'Talos' has done the following action : Roll of the Dices

'Dotted Dice' : 2, 4, 4, 2

Kickass! Though maybe we could make it so that the result is displayed in the user's post rather thab making a whole new one?

Also, I could post some fanfiction... I'm not the best but I make do.

Or, I could run some rp or quest threads... those seem to be well liked (Rps, for the moment. Don't think there's enough of us yet to justify a quest.)
Talos
Talos

Back to top Go down

Post by SageofSixPaths Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:14 pm

Talos wrote:
Kickass! Though maybe we could make it so that the result is displayed in the user's post rather thab making a whole new one?

Or, I could run some rp or quest threads... those seem to be well liked (Rps, for the moment. Don't think there's enough of us yet to justify a quest.)

Aye, that'd be nice. Also: multi-quote function could use a fixing, it's not working for me?

And.. Depends, what were you going to run? Very Happy
SageofSixPaths
SageofSixPaths
Moderati
Moderati

Back to top Go down

Post by Talos Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:20 pm

SageofSixPaths wrote:
Talos wrote:

Aye, that'd be nice. Also: multi-quote function could use a fixing, it's not working for me?

And.. Depends, what were you going to run? Very Happy

Hmmm.. hard to say. I would like the forum's first rp to be special. To be something that will be remembered. Something like Sb's Executionor thread. The kind that can inspire others.

So obviously, we need to think about it....
Talos
Talos

Back to top Go down

Post by SageofSixPaths Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:21 pm

[quote="Talos"]
SageofSixPaths wrote:

Hmmm.. hard to say. I would like the forum's first rp to be special. To be something that will be remembered. Something like Sb's Executionor thread. The kind that can inspire others.

What was that?

Sb executioner, i mean.
SageofSixPaths
SageofSixPaths
Moderati
Moderati

Back to top Go down

Post by Talos Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:26 pm

[quote="SageofSixPaths"]
Talos wrote:
SageofSixPaths wrote:

What was that?

Sb executioner, i mean.

It was a thread long, long ago on SB. Debatably, it was the first rpo in the general forum that eventually lead to the formation of the BROB forum. It pitted SB in the Star Trek/Wars verse ( I cannot remember which) With their own Executionor (The Star Destroyer) and let them loose. It was epic, since this was before Sb got tired of the rps, it was massive and widely popular. Garnaring overn 60 pages ( I believe.) Eventually, it died. But years later, it was the inspiration for the Sb in ST thread that would arguably begin the wave of rps that would eventually create the BROB forum.

*Takes off historian hat*
Talos
Talos

Back to top Go down

Post by SageofSixPaths Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:32 pm

Talos wrote:
It was a thread long, long ago on SB. Debatably, it was the first rpo in the general forum that eventually lead to the formation of the BROB forum. It pitted SB in the Star Trek/Wars verse ( I cannot remember which) With their own Executionor (The Star Destroyer) and let them loose. It was epic, since this was before Sb got tired of the rps, it was massive and widely popular. Garnaring overn 60 pages ( I believe.) Eventually, it died. But years later, it was the inspiration for the Sb in ST thread that would arguably begin the wave of rps that would eventually create the BROB forum.

Huh. Interesting.

Well, it was a sci-fi based rp, which kinda fits with SB's sci-fi theme.. so what's Epic's 'theme'?
SageofSixPaths
SageofSixPaths
Moderati
Moderati

Back to top Go down

Post by Talos Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:35 pm

SageofSixPaths wrote:
Talos wrote:

Huh. Interesting.

Well, it was a sci-fi based rp, which kinda fits with SB's sci-fi theme.. so what's Epic's 'theme'?

I don't think we have one yet. That'sone of the things the RP would be geared towards. Developing some kind of theme that we could run with and give to the rest of the forum

The theme I would be going fore could be...

Well, epic.

Epic battles, epic story, just plain epic.

Obviously, that is very hard to do. But I would not be opposed to giving it a try.

As to the rp, what about a pokemon one? An epic Pokemon one, I mean. I'd need to work hard on it, but I am sure I could fit ''epic'' in there somewhere...
Talos
Talos

Back to top Go down

Post by SageofSixPaths Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:37 pm

Talos wrote:
I don't think we have one yet. That'sone of the things the RP would be geared towards. Developing some kind of theme that we could run with and give to the rest of the forum

Well, epic.

Obviously, that is very hard to do. But I would not be opposed to giving it a try.

As to the rp, what about a pokemon one? An epic Pokemon one, I mean. I'd need to work hard on it, but I am sure I could fit ''epic'' in there somewhere...

Hm...

How about a pokemon theme'd thread where you start with a legendary, but it's a weak legendary? And you have to work your way up to ballzing everything. That, or you get some monster/kaiju/inhuman-thing as a pokemon, rather than a generic in-verse one?
SageofSixPaths
SageofSixPaths
Moderati
Moderati

Back to top Go down

Post by Talos Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:40 pm

SageofSixPaths wrote:
Talos wrote:

Well, epic.

Hm...

How about a pokemon theme'd thread where you start with a legendary, but it's a weak legendary? And you have to work your way up to ballzing everything. That, or you get some monster/kaiju/inhuman-thing as a pokemon, rather than a generic in-verse one?

Well, actually.

What if you aren't a human at all? You're the pokemon. At the start, you are weak. Low levelled and barely able to hold your own. You must survive and avoid trainers but your destiny is something more. You must grow stronger, become better, eventually you will lead the Pokemon against the humans with the fate of all Pokemon kind in your hands.

Thoughts?
Talos
Talos

Back to top Go down

Post by SageofSixPaths Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:46 pm

Talos wrote:
Well, actually.

What if you aren't a human at all? You're the pokemon. At the start, you are weak. Low levelled and barely able to hold your own. You must survive and avoid trainers but your destiny is something more. You must grow stronger, become better, eventually you will lead the Pokemon against the humans with the fate of all Pokemon kind in your hands.

Thoughts?

That's actually a really good idea. 'sort of like Pokemon Dungeon but without all the pitfalls of that. I approve afro
SageofSixPaths
SageofSixPaths
Moderati
Moderati

Back to top Go down

Post by Talos Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:47 pm

SageofSixPaths wrote:
Talos wrote:
Well, actually.

Thoughts?

That's actually a really good idea. 'sort of like Pokemon Dungeon but without all the pitfalls of that. I approve afro

I'll work on it and hopefully have the rp up tonight..
Talos
Talos

Back to top Go down

Post by SageofSixPaths Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:51 pm

Talos wrote:

Cool
I'm off to write some stuff in the original fiction section...

This is just some stuff that actually stemmed from an RP on SB, but i wrote it down in story form during free time at school. Feel free to leave some thoughts Cool
SageofSixPaths
SageofSixPaths
Moderati
Moderati

Back to top Go down

Post by Talos Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:52 pm

SageofSixPaths wrote:
Talos wrote:

Cool
I'm off to write some stuff in the original fiction section...

This is just some stuff that actually stemmed from an RP on SB, but i wrote it down in story form during free time at school. Feel free to leave some thoughts Cool

I'll have a look when I finish the rp
Talos
Talos

Back to top Go down

Post by Talos Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:25 pm

Ok, I have made the first post of the rp. You will find it in the RP subforum inside the CW forum.
Talos
Talos

Back to top Go down

Post by SageofSixPaths Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:32 pm

Talos wrote:Ok, I have made the first post of the rp. You will find it in the RP subforum inside the CW forum.

Still working on the first chapter of the story, but i'll be sure to pop in!
SageofSixPaths
SageofSixPaths
Moderati
Moderati

Back to top Go down

Post by Talos Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:37 pm

SageofSixPaths wrote:
Talos wrote:Ok, I have made the first post of the rp. You will find it in the RP subforum inside the CW forum.

Awesome. First post is not too long so you shouldn't have much trouble with it.
Talos
Talos

Back to top Go down

Post by SageofSixPaths Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:59 pm

Talos wrote:
SageofSixPaths wrote:

First chapters done!

Thoughts? Questions? Concerns? Smile
SageofSixPaths
SageofSixPaths
Moderati
Moderati

Back to top Go down

Post by Talos Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:01 pm

SageofSixPaths wrote:
Talos wrote:
SageofSixPaths wrote:

First chapters done!

Thoughts? Questions? Concerns? Smile

I shall go over it in more depth tomorrow, but for now as I said, it seems fairly solid and I shall be lookiong forward to more.
Talos
Talos

Back to top Go down

Post by :-) Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:17 am

The pokemon RP seems solid but first off how are people going to come here if we don't advertise on other boards ?
:-)

Back to top Go down

Post by Talos Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:01 pm

:-) wrote:The pokemon RP seems solid but first off how are people going to come here if we don't advertise on other boards ?

Did SB ever advertise on other boards? If we have small but loyal community, we can dervtise but I'd like to get the forum balanced and up and running before we even think of anything like that.

No point in attracting people if there is nothing to hold their interests, after all.
Talos
Talos

Back to top Go down

Post by :-) Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:30 pm

I guess that works.

Back to top Go down

Increasing the forum size Empty Tips On Increasing Forum Popularity

Post by Lord Archeneon Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:54 am

I found something sickening today, my forum address does not show up in google when I type in its name "EpicForoums." There are many threads just like mine on the internet that have very similar names. My efforts to promote this thread might've resulted in increasing the popularity of other threads. I must do something that will make my forum truly unique.

I might need to even change the name and web address. If I don't, then any further steps I take to promote this forum could end up being useless. The catch is that if I do, I will be practically starting over, and all the time I spent trying to promote this site thus far will go down the trash. What do you think I should do?

I've been thinking about strategies...
I could make a huge amount of sock puppet accounts.

I could find some software to boost my forum views, but I will need some program that can rapidly change IP addreses. This strategy is a dirty one, so I want to avoid.

Please share your ideas. Thanks

Edit: One more thing, I cant thank you all enough for spending the amount of time you did making posts. Over 100 posts in a single day.
Lord Archeneon
Lord Archeneon
Emperor
Emperor

https://urbaniteforums.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Talos Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:34 pm

Uh... no offense but you don't seem to be truly good at the role of admin. I admit, you're still growing into it but your first thought when considering hoiw t ogather populairty should not be ''Sockpuppets! Sockpuppets EVERYWHERE!''

That said, I do see the problenm and my advice is basically to continue on as we have been doing anyway. That is, generating iinterest by having genuinly interesting disccusions, an immerise atmosphere and generally being a pretty nice place to post.
Talos
Talos

Back to top Go down

Post by SageofSixPaths Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:50 pm

Talos wrote:
I admit, you're still growing into it but your first thought when considering hoiw t ogather populairty should not be ''Sockpuppets! Sockpuppets EVERYWHERE!''

That said, I do see the problenm and my advice is basically to continue on as we have been doing anyway. That is, generating iinterest by having genuinly interesting disccusions, an immerise atmosphere and generally being a pretty nice place to post.

Basically this. If we're going to be popular and have people, i'd want it to be with some semblance of legitimacy. After all, how are we expected to hold them if we have nothing in the first place to get their attention? A name change could be good, simply because "Epic" is a common name, and the 'halofight' part of it makes it just obscure enough to not accidently pop up to people. Though i do admit that that would sacrifice a good bit of ground that we've achieved.

EDIT: It would also be nice to work out *all* the kinks before we start advertising it largely. The multiquote function still doesn't work Razz We do have somewhat of a 'dedicated but uber-small' community in the form of Talos, :-), Senmut, and myself. Active and approachable mods would be a nice thing to see too.
SageofSixPaths
SageofSixPaths
Moderati
Moderati

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Archeneon Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:39 pm

I just realized that I would not be sacrificing anything to change the name and address of the forum. The only members here are us, from spacebattles. All my attempts to promote this site has failed so far, so it wouldn't matter if the name changed. The forum, the design and all the posts wouldn't change.

I intended for this forum to be a place to mainly discuss fantasy, science fiction, and videogames. So what do you think would be some good forum names?
Lord Archeneon
Lord Archeneon
Emperor
Emperor

Back to top Go down

Post by SageofSixPaths Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:41 pm

Lord Archeneon wrote:I just realized that I would not be sacrificing anything to change the name and address of the forum. The only members here are us, from spacebattles. All my attempts to promote this site has failed so far, so it wouldn't matter if the name changed. The forum, the design and all the posts wouldn't change.

I intended for this forum to be a place to mainly discuss fantasy, science fiction, and videogames. So what do you think would be some good forum names?

sciencefantasyforums.com? Amalgamation ftw Razz

More than likely already taken though Sad
SageofSixPaths
SageofSixPaths
Moderati
Moderati

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Archeneon Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:03 pm

I came up with many different names, but I keep finding websites with similar names on the internet.
After brainstorming and web surfing, I came up a list of fairly unique names beginning with "the illuminated..."

TheIlluminatedForum
TheIlluminatedDome
TheIlluminatedForge
Lord Archeneon
Lord Archeneon
Emperor
Emperor

Back to top Go down

Post by SageofSixPaths Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:22 pm

Lord Archeneon wrote:I came up with many different names, but I keep finding websites with similar names on the internet.
After brainstorming and web surfing, I came up a list of fairly unique names beginning with "the illuminated..."

TheIlluminatedForum
TheIlluminatedDome
TheIlluminatedForge

Of those, TLF(forum) is my favorite.

Just throwing stuff that sounds sort of cool out there:

TheCitadelForums
LegionForums

Though honestly, a name change isn't the root cause of our issues with bringing people in. Good content is first and foremost.
SageofSixPaths
SageofSixPaths
Moderati
Moderati

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Archeneon Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:41 pm

I know what you're saying, good content is the most important part, but the name is somewhat like the cover of the book, and the content is like the pages. Overall, the content is more important, but the first thing people see is the cover. I also realized epicforums was too cliche. I'm currently stuck with .halofight. I'll have too buy a domain.

Edit: After some promotioons, I finally have two new member. KoolKat and Grizzly Griswald.
Lord Archeneon
Lord Archeneon
Emperor
Emperor

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Archeneon Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:31 pm

Currently, there is still only a few of us, and after reading your posts I realized the best strategy for making this forum grow. First, we need to make a few good threads with some quality content, and then we should try advertising the forum immediately after. If there is are no responses after a few hours, then you should add more content to your threads, and then try promoting again. Also, try not to make threads based on content that very few people will understand, there are very few of us, so we need to be able to understand everything in our threads.

I will be donating 100 points to members who can prove that they promoted the thread. If you are going to try to promote the thread, be sure to show people this link https://urbaniteforums.rpg-board.net
Lord Archeneon
Lord Archeneon
Emperor
Emperor

Back to top Go down

Post by Kool Kat Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:27 am

promotions here I come!

Will I have a higher chance of being a mod?
Kool Kat
Kool Kat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down